Interviews are hard enough to begin with, but when the interviewer and interviewee are not in the same room, it can be even more nerve-wracking to know what to wear to look your best. Virtual interviews can be done over Zoom or Teams; here’s how you should dress and what to do before you start your video call to make sure that you look as good as possible from wherever you are.
- Choose an outfit that you would feel comfortable wearing to an in-person interview.
- Consider the company culture when deciding what to wear. If you’re unsure, err on the side of being more conservative.
- Make sure your clothes are well-fitting and wrinkle-free.
- Avoid wearing anything too revealing or distracting.
- Pay attention to your grooming and make sure you look polished and professional from head to toe. 6. Remember that you won’t be able to see the interviewer as easily over video, so try not to shift around too much and make eye contact with the camera instead of with your monitor (you can do this by placing a mirror behind you).
- You may want to test out your computer setup ahead of time by using it as if it were an in-person interview – this will help you know how long it will take you to respond to questions, change slides, etc.
Accessorize with Jewelry
Even though you’re not meeting in person, you should still dress the part for your virtual job interview. This means accessorizing with jewelry that makes you look professional and put together. For women, this might mean wearing a pair of stud earrings or a simple necklace. For men, this could mean donning a watch or bracelet. Whatever you choose, make sure it’s not too flashy or over-the-top – you want to look polished, not overdone. You can also wear something symbolic of your culture, like a kippah or headscarf if you’re Jewish or Muslim.
If you’re going for an upscale look, consider pairing one ring on each hand with an understated watch. If you’re aiming for more casual chic, try stacking some bracelets on one wrist. (Think about what you’d wear for a date night!) Finally, be mindful of anything gaudy or ostentatious when deciding what to accessorize with. You want people’s attention to be drawn to your words – not your wardrobe!
Bring a Change of Clothes
If you’re doing a virtual job interview over Zoom or Teams, it’s important to dress the part. That means no sweatpants or PJs! Here are a few tips on what to wear for your virtual job interview -Dress like you would if you were in front of someone face-to-face
- Wear clothes that feel good and look professional
- Bring an extra change of clothes (in case the call is longer than expected)
- Treat yourself to a haircut and a pedicure before your big day -Invest in professional-looking make up to complete your outfit
- Make sure you have clean nails with fresh polish -If wearing heels, be sure they are appropriate and comfortable
- Put together an awesome PowerPoint presentation so you can wow them from the start
- Don’t forget to take care of yourself so you don’t come across as stressed out or unapproachable
Hair, Makeup, and Hygiene Tips
First impressions matter, even if you’re meeting someone over video chat. Here are a few tips to make sure you look polished and professional for your virtual job interview. – Dress in clothes that reflect the company’s dress code. – Put on some light makeup (eyeliner, mascara, blush). Avoid wearing dark eye makeup as it will be more difficult to see on camera. Use lip balm with SPF protection if you’ll be speaking on camera. Brush teeth thoroughly before any video call. Take care of any skin conditions like acne or eczema beforehand by using an oil-free moisturizer, but remember not to wear too much foundation.
- Use fragrance sparingly as it can become overwhelming when only smelled through a computer screen.
- If possible, put down the coffee!